- : This Guide reflects the state's Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance standards and explains the principles of a WaterSmart landscape; water-efficient Design and Irrigation, climate-appropriate Plants, and best Maintenance practices.
- Recommended Low Water Use Trees for Landscapes: Helpful information about the types of trees that will thrive in Southern California's semi-arid climate, and information on how to plant trees.
- Help Your Trees be Water-Efficient: Trees and water are both precious resources. When we water wisely and maintain our trees carefully, we enjoy a wide range of benefits at a low cost and with little effort.
- Nifty-Fifty: A list of plants that have been selected because they are attractive, often available in nurseries, non-invasive, easy to maintain, long-term performers, scaled for residential landscapes, and of course, once established - drought tolerant.
- WaterSmart Landscaping in San Diego County
San Diego Botanic Garden
Located 30 minutes north of San Diego in Encinitas, California, San Diego Botanic Garden (SDBG) features numerous exhibits, including rare bamboo groves, desert gardens, a tropical rainforest, California native plants, Mediterranean climate landscapes, succulent gardens, an herb garden, firesafe landscaping, a subtropical fruit garden, and native coastal sage natural areas. In June of 2009, the SDBG opened the Hamilton Children's Garden, the largest interactive children's garden on the West Coast.